Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Let It Ripple Cloud FIlm

Submitting a video for the new Let It Ripple crowdsource film was a really interesting experience. The crowd sourced film we worked on in class was really fun, but this was an entirely different experience. In class we worked on what would be in the background of other people talking, but for this assignment I had to be in front of the camera doing the talking. I picked an interesting location off of college road to set up my camera and film myself answering the question "what skills do we need to flourish in the 21st century?". Before answering the question I had to stare in the camera for a few seconds and raise my right hand which was both weirder and more awkward than I thought it would be. I talked about how in the 21st century we need more face to face communication. I feel that we text to much and use Facebook to much to stay connected and if we keep continuing this than by the end of this century there will be significantly less face to face communication skills. Studies have shown that people of our generation are already having problems identifying human emotions on peoples faces  because we don't talk face to face as much as people did before instant communication technologies. It was an interesting question to answer, but I'm think I didn't have the kind of answer that they were looking for. This also made me think of something that I never thought of before with cloud filmmaking. Wen they edit the video, they get to pick and choose that submissions they want to include, and therefore when people watch the finished product it does not necessarily reflect the views of people all around the globe. But this is common with all editing, especially when editing a documentary. In a documentary you have to find and shape a story or theme, which is what they do with all of the submissions. So I now view cloud filmmaking as a sub genre of the documentary film. Although instead of one filmmaker doing the documenting, everyone documents themselves and then sends that footage to the filmmaker. Overall it was a fun assignment and definitely a new experience. It would be cool if I make it into the final cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment