Friday, June 6, 2014

Crowdsourcing

I honestly thought crowdsourcing was the same thing as crowdfunding through sites like Indiegogo or Kick Starter. I had absolutely no idea that there was also crowd sourced design, micro tasks, and open innovation. Its overall a genius idea that is now finally possible due to the instant communication methods caused by advances in technology. But when I think about something like the concept of Wikipedia, I don't see how random people all working together on the internet to create the world's largest encyclopedia would ever work. But it worked, and it worked very well, so much so that its pretty much my go-to when looking up information on a specific subject on the internet. I found the idea of crowd sourcing design to be especially genius. Why would you ever pay someone to design a logo for you when its cheaper for 300 people to design you 300 logos and then you can pick your favorite. The idea of cloud filmmaking seems to be significantly less popular than crowd funding or micro tasks, however it can be very effective for creating new innovative films. I really like the principles of the cloud making manifesto that the moxie institute created. I feel like the manifesto really captures the spirit of crowd sourcing by really encouraging filmmakers to explore the interconnectedness of people all around the world. It is truly amazing that people from all over the world can work together to create a single short film. Whoever said 2 heads are better than 1, was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment