Friday, June 6, 2014

Acoustic Ecology

I find the concept of acoustic ecology very intriguing. Noise is something that I never paid a lot of attention to. There are obviously a lot of different sounds happening outside, but I never really take the time to stop and listen to each one individually. I usually just tune out all the excess noise without even thinking about it. When I do take the time to listen to each noise individually, I quickly realize how ugh sound pollution we really create. I had never even considered the fact that we create so much noise all the time, especially drone noises that are continuous. In just my apartment alone my fish tank filter, air conditioner, and refrigerator all create a constant noise 24 hours a day. I really like how the author of the article referred to God as the first great acoustical engineer. It's interesting to think about how sound was created naturally before we built things that created sound. I also never even thought about how thunder is the loudest occurring sound in nature. I've heard several sounds louder than thunder but these were from man made objects such as fireworks or guns. Its actually pretty smart of the military to use sound as a weapon in there psychological operations. Music specifically is really good at evoking certain emotions so therefore it would be a great tool for psychological operations. I could definitely see how playing really loud heavy metal music for 24 hours would easily drive anyone crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment